Special Educational Needs and Disability
We are a fully inclusive college and proud of all of our students’ successes. Our aim is to give access to a high quality education for all students, regardless of their abilities and physical and emotional needs.
- KEVICC is a mixed ability, fully comprehensive secondary school. We cater for students with a wide variety of abilities, special learning requirements and disabilities.
- The SENCo has overall responsibility for the Special Educational Needs Policy at the college and the wellbeing and academic progress of SEND students.
- The Learning Support Coordinator has over-view of the day-to-day running of the Learning Support Department.
- We follow the DFE’s Code of Practice for special educational needs.
- The college, its grounds and the facilities therein are accessible to students who have physical disabilities.
- External agencies are consulted and expert advice is sought whenever it is considered to be appropriate.
- Learning support is made available across all aspects of the curriculum.
- Every year, we assess the needs of the cohort and adapt the curriculum accordingly.
- Subject specialist teachers and learning support staff work together in a co-operative approach when designing and delivering programmes of study for students experiencing learning difficulties.
- Students with learning difficulties normally spend their time working with their peers in mainstream class, helped by their class teacher or learning support assistant.
- Extraction from lessons will not normally be considered as an option at our college although we do have some bespoke provisions for students with learning needs.
- All staff at college have a responsibility to register any cause for concern they may have about a student’s learning needs with the SENCo. Student’s special educational needs may be identified by anyone involved with the student’s education, including their parents.
- The SENCo has responsibility for reviewing students’ statements of special educational needs annually, in conjunction with the Local Education Authorities.
- Faculties are responsible for providing appropriate materials for students of all ability levels.
- The pastoral Heads of House teams are responsible for the pastoral care and tutorial provision for all students.
- Devon’s Local Offer website is available through this link: https://new.devon.gov.uk/educationandfamilies/special-educational-needs-and-disability-send-local-offer
Devon Information, Advice and Support for SEND (DIAS) can be accessed by following this link:https://new.devon.gov.uk/educationandfamilies/special-educational-needs-and-disability-send-local-offer/who-to-contact-for-advice-and-guidance