The second part of the Strategic Plan is to consider how any capital receipt from the disposals could be invested in the College facilities for the benefit of its pupils and the local community. To facilitate this assessment, the College has developed a Spatial Framework Design that sets out the main areas of change and/or development.
This Framework is attached as APPENDIX 2.
As part of the review to inform its strategic plan, the College completed a full appraisal of its existing accommodation; looking at existing curriculum strengths as well as the curriculum areas that are not currently being delivered. In our last inspection by Ofsted in June 2019 the College was rated as Good and there was praise for the progress the College had made in improving ‘behaviour and teaching and learning’, however, an area for improvement was to instil a desire ‘so that pupils show pride in their work and eagerness to succeed more often. Creating a stimulating and effective learning environment is a key component to improving pupil’s engagement and pride.
The strategic appraisal of need has identified the following as the main priorities for investment from the capital receipt:
- Improvements To Existing Accommodation
- Enhancement Of Sporting Facilities including:
- New All Weather Pitch (Football)
- New Changing Facilities on the Redworth Site
- Improved Drainage to Redworth Field
- Refurbishment of the Redworth Gym/Sports Hall
- Retention Of Existing All Weather Pitch – Elmhirst Site (Hockey)
- New, Modern Dedicated Sixth Form Block
- Enhancements To The External Environment Of The Site Including:
- Removal Of Poor Condition Mobile Classrooms
- New Street Scene And External Auditorium
- New Canopies To Extend Use Of External Spaces
- Improvements To Site Security, Access, and Safeguarding
Each of these areas are considered in depth in the sections below.
The expected cost of all of these improvements is in the region of £7million. The only way the College can source this level of funding is to proceed with the disposal of surplus land. The more land that can be disposed of and the greater value that can be achieved from any sale, the more enhancements and improvements can be delivered for the benefit of pupils and the local community.